Multi Domain Wildcard SSL Certificate
Complete Digital Security, Covering Multiple Domains and All Associated Subdomains
With various services and ventures, organizations have to develop multiple online portals for customers. And there’s a high probability that every primary website domain has some associated subdomains. An average user thinks of a Multi Domain Wildcard SSL Certificate for security for multiple domains and subdomains. However, if an expert has to offer a solution, a Multi-Domain Wildcard SSL will get introduced to the company. It’s a cost-saving and stress-reducing security mechanism that helps to encrypt communications across the overall digital presence.
What is Multi Domain Wildcard SSL Certificate?
Multi Domain Wildcard Certificate is a cutting-edge security solution, securing 200+ domains and all their subdomains. You only need to purchase a single SAN (Multi-Domain) Wildcard SSL Certificate to protect data transmissions on all your websites.
It’s the only SSL/TLS certificate that allows you to benefit from Multi-Domain SSL and Wildcard SSL benefits simultaneously. You only have to purchase additional SANs as per requirements, and all its subdomains will also get protected. Additionally, you can save a hefty amount, as you will need only one certificate for managing data security for all your websites and web apps.
Furthermore, it enables the seamless addition of limitless subdomains. Hence, you don’t have to worry about adding new portals under a primary domain. Although, you can avail the advantages of Multi Domain (SAN) Wildcard SSL only at the following two levels:
- Domain Validation Level
- Organization Validation Level
You don’t get the option of an EV Multi Domain SAN Wildcard SSL Certificate due to the strict policies of the CA/B Forum. If any SSL certificate provider offers such a solution, you must not consider it for purchase.
The functionality of Multi Domain SAN Wildcard SSL: A Precise Example
Understanding the functionality of a Multi Domain Wildcard Certificate is relatively easy. By looking at the below example, you will also learn the difference between Multi-Domain SSL and Multi Domain Wildcard Certificate.
For instance, an organization owns three domains, www.domain1.com, www.domain.uk, and www.mydomain.in. And all three domains have subdomains for sales, blog, admin, and support portals.
If you utilize the Multi-Domain Wildcard (SAN Wildcard) SSL Certificate, you will need only two SANs, as demonstrated below:
|Multi-Domain Wildcard SSL Certificate|
|*.domain1.com||*.domain.uk (SAN 1)||*.mydomain.in (SAN 2)|
|Subdomains associated with each domain|
The above table shows that Multi Domain Wildcard Certificate secures three primary domains and all associated subdomains. You will see asterisk (*) mark at the start of each domain, defining that it provides wildcard functionality.
And, if you utilize Multi-Domain SSL Certificate for the same scenario, then the table would look like the one below.
|Multi-Domain SSL Certificate|
|www.domain1.com||www.domain.uk (SAN 1)||www.mydomain.in (SAN 2)|
|Sales.domain1.com (SAN 3)||Sales.domain.uk (SAN 4)||Sales.mydomain.in (SAN 5)|
|blog.domain1.com (SAN 6)||Blog.domain.uk (SAN 7)||Blog.mydomain.in (SAN 8)|
|Admin.domain1.com (SAN 9)||Admin.domain.uk (SAN 10)||Admin.mydomain.in (SAN 11)|
|Support.domain1.com (SAN 12)||Support.domain.uk (SAN 13)||Support.mydomain.in (SAN 14)|
As you can see, utilizing Multi-Domain SSL Certificate for such cases will lead you to spend more money. For it, you will purchase 14 SANs, a higher number than 2 SANs of Multi Domain (SAN) Wildcard SSL Certificate.
Furthermore, if you try to fulfill the company’s requirements with a Wildcard SSL Certificate, you will need to buy three. Therefore, Multi-Domain Wildcard is the answer when you need to secure 10, 20, 30, 100, 150, or any value up to 250 domains and their subdomains.
Multi Domain Wildcard SSL Coverage
With the help of a Multi-Domain (SAN) Wildcard SSL Certificate, you can secure a range of domains and IPs. It provides coverage for the following:
- Primary Domains or FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Names)
- Sub-domains associated with Primary Domains
- IP Addresses facing the public network
- Sub-domains present at multiple levels
- Multiple SANs (Subject Alternative Name)
- Unified Communications (UCC)
You can configure Multi Domain Wildcard Certificate on any server for any website. However, the only criteria are owning the domain or IP address.
Things To Consider Before Purchase and Configuration
Before you finalize Multi Domain Wildcard Certificate as your digital solution, you must go through the following aspects:
- When you submit the CSR (Certificate Signing Request) to the CA, you must provide a non-wildcard domain for the CNAME field.
- When any user checks your SSL Certificate for verification and authentication purposes, the certificate will show all the domains listed under it. In addition, you cannot disable showing all the domain names.
- You have to perform manual configuration for the domains without the WWW prefix.
- Sectigo, Comodo, GeoTrust, DigiCert, and Thawte are the top Certificate Authorities offering Multi-Domain Wildcard certificates.
The Steps To Avail Multi Domain Wildcard SSL Certificate
The Multi-Domain Wildcard Certificate is available only at Domain Validation and Organization Validation Level. Therefore, to obtain it, you must pass any vetting process between DV and OV.
DV Vetting Process for Multi-Domain Wildcard SSL Certificate
To get the DV Multi-Domain Wildcard Certificate, CA provides you with three paths:
- CA sends an email with a verification link to the registered mail address. You have to follow the instructions, and CA issues the certificate after you complete them.
- CA provides you with a file, and you must upload it on your server according to the instructions. After successful upload and validation, you get the SSL certificate.
- You have to undergo DNS verification by creating a CNAME file redirecting to the Certificate Authority.
OV Vetting Process for Multi-Domain Wildcard SSL Certificate
To obtain an OV Multi-Domain Wildcard Certificate, proving the company’s authenticity is necessary. Under the OV vetting process, Certificate Authority can ask you to provide a government-registered id, bank statement, physical address proof, domain, and a working mobile or landline number of organization details.
The documents you submit will get cross-verified with government databases. The CA will call you after successful document verification to confirm the details. And after completing all the validation operations, CA will issue you an OV Multi-Domain Wildcard Certificate.
Exclusive Multi-Domain Wildcard SSL Benefits and Features
A Multi-Domain Wildcard Certificate provides the following features:
- Enables to secure more than 200+ domains and all associated subdomains with a single certificate
- 256-Bit Data Encryption for all the domains, IP addresses, and subdomains
- Unbounded Server License and Re-issuance
- Leverages to reduce effort, as you use only one certificate for all your websites
- Helps to save cost, as you don’t have to buy multiple wildcard certificates
- Configure HTTPS across all listed websites
- Displays Padlock in the address bar
- Provides Site Seal to display business authenticity
To configure encrypted secure communication for a number of domains and subdomains, Multi Domain Wildcard SSL Certificate is a reliable solution. It provides the functionality to list additional SANs under one SSL certificate and protect their subdomains. In addition, it leverages to protect up to 250 domains.
Further, you can avail of it as a Domain Validation SSL certificate or Organization Validation SSL Certificate. Also, according to IT professionals, it’s a top-notch solution for a diverse digital presence.